Ed Walker is leaning towards making the Princess Margaret Keeneland Stakes at Ascot on July 28 the next target for Royal Intervention.
The Lambourn handler has earmarked the six-furlong Group Three contest as the most likely port of call for the daughter of Exceed And Excel, after she went one better than on her debut at Lingfield in a Listed race over the same trip at Newmarket on Saturday.
Walker said: “Royal Intervention is a very nice filly, but I must admit I’d be lying if I said I expected her to do that at Newmarket.
“It is pretty rare for me to run one straight into a stakes race after finishing second first time out, but that gives you an impression of the regard we hold her in.
“She is smart, but she can get a little bit hot. Gerald Mosse has a wealth of experience and the two times he has ridden her he has got on well and has done a great job with her.
“I thought the race had been set up for a finisher, but when Gerald gave her a squeeze she picked up and went on again.
“We are probably not going to go for the Duchess of Cambridge Stakes.
“We have to be a bit careful about bringing her back too soon, as although it looked like she won easily she gave herself a pretty hard race, so the obvious race we are looking at going for is the Princess Margaret at Ascot.”
The Lambourn handler reports Sandringham winner Agrotera remains on course to make her next start at Listed level in next month’s Betfred TV/EBF Stallions Dick Hern Stakes at Haydock.
He said: “Off 98 there is probably still another nice handicap in her, but it is more valuable to go for a stakes race so she will go to the Dick Hern at Haydock in the middle of August.
“I don’t think we will see the best of her until next year and she could well stay 10 furlongs further down the line.
“I would think we would go to Haydock, then for the Atlanta at Sandown. We will take it step by step with her. She will probably have three more runs at the most this season.”