Doncaster officials are hoping for a much-needed dry spell to give their jumps meeting on Saturday the best chance of going ahead.
Friday’s programme was called off due to waterlogging on Wednesday afternoon – and Saturday’s card is subject to a precautionary inspection at 3.30pm on Thursday.
Doncaster lost their last two big Saturdays on the Flat in October and earlier this month, and this weekend’s fixture could go the same way unless things improve dramatically.
Clerk of the course Roderick Duncan said on Wednesday afternoon: “We’re going to give it another 24 hours before we take the decision about Saturday, but we would need significantly less rainfall than is currently forecast for any chance of seeing the significant improvement we need.
“We were supposed to have had quite a bit of rain this morning. We didn’t receive that, but it’s been raining heavily in the afternoon and has already been enough for conditions to deteriorate.
“If we get the lower end of the forecast and a dry day on Friday we might have an opportunity to get Saturday on, but we’d need a fair wind.”
Since racing was abandoned on November 9, some 69 millimetres of rain has fallen on the South Yorkshire track while the total rainfall for the month was 156mm on Wednesday afternoon.